- Be able to find the value of a group of pennies (or the local smallest denomination coin) containing up to 20 coins.
- Know the names of the common coins and currency.
Know the names of common measuring devices and what they measure.
Device Measures Describes Ruler Length How long, wide, tall or far Scale Weight/mass How heavy Thermometer Temperature How hot, warm or cold Clock Time When Calendar Time When Measuring Cups and Spoons Volume How much
Know comparative measurement terms.
Measurement Comparative Terms Length longer/shorter, wider/narrower, taller/shorter Weight heavier/lighter Temperature hotter/colder, warmer/cooler Time earlier/later, before/after Volume more/less, larger/smaller
- Know the names of common geometric shapes (circle, square, rectangle, triangle) and be able to name the shape in any orientation.
- Know how to use tally marks to record the number of a type of event. Be able to find the total number from the tally marks.
- Sort items into groups or categories by similar properties such as color, shape, size, material, etc.
- Sort items into groups by using two properties such as size and color, shape and size or shape and color.
- Determine a pattern and tell what the next event will be. Patterns might include numbers, letters, shapes, colors, sizes, movements or sounds.
- Learn important numbers such as home telephone number, emergency phone number, street address and the dates of birthdays and holidays.
Math Lessons by Grade
- Estimation and Mental Math
- Naming Numbers
- Percents and Ratios
- Place Value