The word percent means "by hundredths" which is related to the decimal form on a percent. To convert a percent into a decimal number, you must divide by 100, creating hundredths. As you work with percents, you will frequently see steps where we must multiply or divide by 100.
The percent symbol (%) is used to indicate that a number represents a percent.
How to determine a percent:
- Divide the first number by the second
- Multiply the answer by 100 (Move decimal point two places to the right)
- Round to the desired precision
- Label the answer with the % sign
Example: 68 is what percent of 87? (As a real-world example, perhaps you took a big test with 87 possible points, and you scored 68 points. Finding what percent 68 is out of 87 will help you understand your score -- converting all tests scores to percents can also help you compare them to each other or track your progress.)
- Divide the first number by the second: 87 ÷ 68 = 0.7816
- Multiply the answer by 100: 0.7816*100 = 78.16
- 78.16 rounded to the nearest whole number = 78
- 68 is 78% of 87
What percent is the first number of the second?
Round your answers to the nearest whole number.
is what percent of ?
Press the Start Button To Begin
This is 0 percent correct.
|Game Name||Description||Best Score|
|How many correct answers can you get in 60 seconds?||0|
Extra time is awarded for each correct answer.
Play longer by getting more correct.
|How fast can you get 20 more correct answers than wrong answers?||999|
Math Lessons by Grade
- Estimation and Mental Math
- Naming Numbers
- Percents and Ratios
- Place Value